Two meetings were on the calendar this morning and both went well. It’s important to take charge and run the meetings per the agenda. People like to deviate and look for weakness in the facilitator to take the meetings over.
How to run meetings and stick to the agenda:
- Prepare ahead of the meeting and send agenda
- Do a quick dry-run or practice running through the agenda on your own
- Anticipate questions and have answers ready
- Don’t let someone monopolize the meeting
- Run a structured meeting; move smoothly from one topic to another
I find saying less than necessary and getting straight to the point helps keep everyone focused. This also minimizes the time it takes to get through the agenda.
Following-up on open items before the next meeting is also important. Your participants should get the best experience with the limited working hours.